I was watching a hospital-based documentary last night when an elderly woman was talking about how her daughter ‘ballooned’ to 18 stone……and it was like a wave shame came over me because 18 stone (which is how weight is often talked about in the UK) is equivalent to 252 lbs. At my last weigh-in on Monday, my weight was 256 lbs……so I felt like a rather sad balloon. But then it struck me how we can think about weight very differently.
So, I just wanted to brainstorm the different ways that my current weight (256 lbs) could be thought of (with my view in bold):
- Wow. I hope I’m never THAT big
- Someone who’s 256 lbs clearly has no discipline and probably isn’t very reliable
- I hope someone who’s 256 lbs is okay. I wonder if s/he eats to bring comfort
- I remember when I was 256 lbs. I can’t believe that I’m now this lesser weight. That took hard work
- When I was 256 lbs, I didn’t think about what I was eating and I felt free but I now find myself continuously thinking about food and rather obsessed about not gaining it back.
- I’m 256 lbs and I hate where I am. I’m ashamed. I’m going to be here forever
- I’m 256 lbs but it’s because nobody supports me. It’s other people’s fault
- I’m 256 lbs but I don’t even think about my weight. I’m just ‘me’
- I’m 256 lbs and I love my curvy body
- I’m 256 lbs and I’m so proud of how I’ve got here
- I’m 256 lbs but just passing by as my weight journey is continuing downwards
- I’m 256 lbs. This is my starting point and I’ve a long way to go but I’ve got this
- Wow! 256 lbs is my goal weight! I can’t imagine ever being that small. I’d be positively skinny!
- I don’t think I’ll ever get down to 256 lbs. I’m stuck here at this weight
No doubt, there’s a whole myriad of other perspectives but I think this goes to show that our perception of the figure on the scales can vary hugely and it’s all about mental attitude…and where we are ourselves. I’ll admit that I wish my weight loss journey hadn’t started at such a high point because I’d be much further along by now but I’ve already gone through the 320s, 310s, 300s, 290s, 280s, 270s, 260s and I’ll be under 250 before I know it.
I’ll be back on Monday. Not sure if I’m going to lose weight this week but my body is changing right SO MUCH now! My back fat is disappearing, my legs are getting more toned, I’m moving quicker/more easily and clothes are getting loose….I’m loving it!
Have a great weekend
Love Erika xx