I wonder if you can relate to this. You’ve made healthy food choices, the pounds have been coming off quickly, you’ve sensed your clothes feeling loser, you’ve felt like you were conquering this ‘losing weight’ thing and then…..PLATEAU!! Whatever you do, the scales don’t budge or, if they do, you might lose half a pound. So, should you just give up? No!!
Next week, I’m going to talk about plateaus (how to cope with them and how to break them) but as I was starting to lose motivation recently, I thought I’d share with you what’s saved me from giving up and seeing the pounds creep back on. You see, I can visualise how things will be when I hit my target weight but it’s so important to reflect on these 10 reasons NOT to go back to where this journey began:
- I’m not going back to my starting weight of 329 lbs
- I’m not going back to my starting BMI of 50
- I’m not going back when I couldn’t walk up the stairs without being out of breath
- I’m not going back to the sofa squeaking as I sat on it
- I’m not going back to wondering if I’d fit in that chair with arms
- I’m not going back to feeling the fat on the back of my neck
- I’m not going back to feeling uncomfortable even if I sat upright
- I’m not going back to being clinically vulnerable re Covid and a BMI of 40+
- I’m not going back to being unable to walk 100 metres without being in pain
- I’m not going back to wondering how long I’d live
Yes, we should think about our long term goal although ideally split it into lots of tiny manageable targets but let’s not forget where we’ve come from. And let’s use that to keep us on this journey. Although I’ve used the word ‘diet’ above, I’m slowly appreciating that it’s really more of a lifestyle change really… which means having to make much longer changes rather than seek a quick fix.
Have a great weekend, everyone
Love Erika xx